The best keto recipes require no substitutions, no shortcuts, just good ingredients cooked in the traditional ways that have worked for centuries. Chicken Florentine is a classic that doesn’t need much elaboration. Healthy chicken breast and spinach are made rich with butter and cream. Some recipes thicken the sauce with flour, but it isn’t necessary or desirable: chicken stock and heavy cream reduce down to a luscious, spoon-coating consistency without any help.
This recipe requires only one pan and about 30 minutes. It would go great with cauliflower rice, or, you could double the second half of the recipe and make enough creamy spinach to turn the dish into a complete meal. The carbiest ingredient here is white wine, but it’s important for the floral, tangy depth that it adds: choose a dry one and enjoy!
- 1lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 6oz chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Season chicken breast with salt & pepper.
- Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides, about 8 minutes. (The chicken does not need to be fully cooked yet, just nicely browned).
- Remove chicken and turn heat down to low. Add garlic and olive oil, and sauté lightly, making sure not to let the garlic turn brown.
- Add white wine to the pan, and increase heat to medium. The wine will help release cooked chicken on the bottom of the pan; scrape up with a spatula or wooden spoon. Reduce wine over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and spinach to pan. Return chicken breast to pan, and place a lid. Cook with lid until chicken breast is fully cooked through, about 10 minutes. Check doneness with a meat thermometer.
- Add heavy cream to the pan and reduce to desired thickness. Taste seasoning, add salt and pepper if necessary, and serve. Garnish with fresh grated Parmigiano, if desired.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved. ASweetLife™ is a trademark of the Diabetes Media Foundation, All Rights Reserved.